WHO ARE WE?
About the Orangeburg (SC) Chapter
During the 1950’s The Links, Incorporated came to South Carolina in Charleston (1951), Columbia (1952), and Greenville (1953). In a similar vein, two friends, Mary S. Moorer and Nettie P. Parler invited a group of Links enthusiasts to join them in an organizational effort to get a chapter of The Links, Incorporated installed in their city. The group became organized under the name “The Les” which was a shortened version of “The Links Enthusiasts”. The Columbia Chapter graciously agreed to sponsor “The Les” of Orangeburg. On Saturday, December 5, 1964, the culmination of the dream of 15 ladies was realized when “The Les” of Orangeburg became the Orangeburg Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. The birth of the Orangeburg Chapter was before the Voting Rights Act and the Public Accommodations Bill in the days of segregation; however, the 15 stalwart women in Orangeburg knew this community and felt that their organization could make a difference through its diverse projects.
Aisha G. Graham